Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Not much makes sense at 5:30 in the morning

Getting out of a warm, cozy bed to go running outside does not make sense at that hour.

Not hearing birds when I'm out - if I could hear them over my huffing and puffing - does not make sense.

The fact that two - not one, but 2 - people were waiting for the bus along Riverside Drive at that hour so does not make sense.

And I ask you, does a school bus driving on Riverside Drive at that hour make sense?

Exactly my point.

And yet.

Haven't found a better time to run than those pre-dawn hours.
- Nobody passes me.
- No birds are on the sidewalk, mocking me as they languidly strut aside (in the daylight hours, I'm so non-threatening that pigeons don't even give me the courtesy of a half-hearted wing-flap to get out of my way).
- No muggers are out at that hour. If they are, they're in snuggy warm in the subway system, so maybe bundling up and getting on the bus is safer.

Ok, yeah. Seeing that big, honking yellow school bus zoom by me as I finished up was a bit odd.

Hope you're finding the time and get up and go for your resolution too. No matter how weird it feels.

And thanks for reading all the way down here.

2 comments:

  1. Agree. It's a good time indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5:30 in the A.M.? There's a 5:30 then, too? Are you outta your mind?

    I see you're serious about this whole half Ironman thing....Rock on. If I ever beat this cold, maybe I'll join you. But nobody ever beat a cold at 5:30 in the morning.

    ReplyDelete