Monday, January 3, 2011

2011 - This Year'll Be Different?

Each new year seems to dawn the same way: ripe with well-meaning intentions of This Year'll Be Different.

Yet, it too soon shatters into tiny shards of wouldas. Shouldas. And couldas.

Ever the optimist, I believe I've got a way through that.

Pain.

Yes, pain. It's an excellent teacher (so says my youngest brother, a wise, high school instructor who seems to know a bit too much about the subject for my comfort).

But wait, this isn't about comfort; it's about pain. The pain that could be inflicted on me during the half Ironman triathlon that I signed up for on June 12 in Columbia, Maryland. (I'd list the website, but the race is closed to new entries, lucky you.)

So I'm relying on the fear - the very real fear - of that pain, to keep me motivated in fulfilling my 2011 resolution. The resolution that, coincidentally, is "to complete a half Ironman triathlon."

If I'm not fit, the race'll be more painful. To be fit, I'll need to be patient (don't do too much at once). And persistent (do something each day). And - don't be afraid of a little perspiration.

I invite you to visit this blog whenever you get a chance and use the fear of my self-inflicted pain to keep yourself motivated in your 2011 resolution.

Thanks for reading all the way down here.

1 comment:

  1. How can I be there to cheer you on if you don't tell me about these things? Good luck in your training.

    ReplyDelete